Friday, August 9, 2013

Avatar: The Last AirBender, Episodes 1-2

I try really hard to give fandoms an open mind and fair chance. The love of shows and cultures tends to come from a place of solidarity and sometimes escape. They watch the characters grow and explore the world in a sensitive and voyeuristic way.

 Most of the time, I can understand where the appreciation comes form, though some fans are a little too...

Tonight, I watched the first two episodes of Avatar: The Last AirBender. Here we are introduced to the three main protagonist characters:

Katara (The Novice Water Bender)
Sokka (The Pointless, Sexists, and generally misguided protective older brother)

and of course, Aang (The Fabled Avatar and Last AirBender)

When we first meet these three, one has been stuck in a ball of ice for 100 years and the other two are bickering because -and this is my personal opinion- Sokka is a dick, and Katara needs to punch him in the face.

Through some various adorable events, we see that Aang is a friendly, if not immature young man. Katara is desperate to learn Water Bending, and Sokka is just a chauvinistic and controlling pain in the ass (with a complex probably due to being the only responsible and young male of his tribe).

We are also introduced to Zuko, the grumpy and determined Prince of the Fire Nation.

He's determined to bring honor to the royal family by capturing the Avatar. He finds Aang, surprised that he is just a child, and is met with little opposition (Sokka doesn't count).

Aang goes peacefully, not wanting anyone to be harmed because of him and then escapes later aboard the fire nation ship. Katara and Sokka go to rescue him, but as it turns out, there is a bit of a fail safe within the Avatar so that he doesn't die.




In the end, the three heroes escape, much to Zuko's chagrin and set forth to learn to master the three remaining elements, teach Katara to master her WaterBending and ride a bunch of animals along the way.


So far, I dislike most of the characters introduced (except Katara and Aang), as I expect I am supposed to, and I hope that Sokka gets punched in the face on a regular basis (which I am assured he will) though I do appreciate his little victory over Zuko at the end of the second episode.


(gifs found here)

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you will come to love them all, I promise. (And just so you know, if you don't, we can't be friends (I'm just kidding, we can be friends (But not really (But really (I'm sorry, I just have a lot of feelings about Avatar.))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair. I am merely hyper critical because everyone has been trying to get me to watch this show for a while. I'm sure I will appreciate them in the end. There was similar comments made from your brother. I know there is more to this show than what we first see but I still think Sokka she get punched more often.

      Delete
  2. Sokka will get punched... Often. And will eventually lose his misogynist outlook as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this. I absolutely adore Avatar, and it's great to see a new fan. While the first five episodes feel slow and forced, the rest of the show never ceases to keep you on the edge of your seat. Sokka's annoying, but you'll soon cherish every time he opens his mouth.

    And like everyone else has said, Sokka will get punched a lot... the universe really likes to pick on him. And another character you'll meet in Omashu.

    ReplyDelete