Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dungeons and Dragons Nostalgia

While at work, a song came through my headphones that brought me back to the years when the only things I stressed about were tardies and school plays. High school was a time where I was able to be creative and enthusiastic about things that made my brain tingle. I could play make believe with others who understood the appeak of a Halfling Rogue and an Orc Cleric. I ended up being the co-founder of the school's RPG Club and Gaming Club, respectively.

{I was also the mascot of the Anime Club, Treasurer/President of the RedCross Club, reporter for the school newspaper, photographer for the yearbook and part of the school orchestra (flute).}

During college, there were few people who played RPGs or RTSs and I set those passions aside, though my comic and manga collection grew. I focused on academics but always felt out of place in a world of frat parties, homecoming events and clubs. After college, I continued my studies and was fortunate enough to find a good group of friends. Granted, by this time 3rd edition was on its way out and replaced by 3.5 and subsequently 4 but we branched out to other platforms like All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Star Wars Roleplaying but always coming back to Dungeons and Dragons.

Now as I sit here working on my novel, I find myself thinking about how much I missed rolling dice and helping to create a story that we all followed. So for old time's sake, I created a couple of Level 1 characters, a Elf Ranger, a Human Rogue and a Halfling Wizard.  Feel free to take this characters and build upon them, give them backstories and let me know about their adventures. In the meantime, I'm going to try to convince my boyfriend to start DMing again.

Happy campaigning!

No comments:

Post a Comment